Source: Floyd County Historical Society
Officers of the 38th
Col. Ben F. Scribner
Pvt. Thomas Herbert
Sgt. E. Hostetter
Organized at New Albany, Ind., and mustered
in September 18, 1861 at Camp Noble, which today is located at the Fairmont Elementary School off of Charlestown Rd. Almost all of Co. D was from Washington County area (Salem).
Ordered to Elizabethtown, Ky., September 21, and duty at Camp Nevin on Green River until February, 1862. Attached to Wood's Brigade, McCook's Command, at Nolin, Ky., October-November, 1861. 7th Brigade, Army of the Ohio, to December, 1861. 7th Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of the Ohio, to March, 1862. 7th Independent Brigade, Army of the Ohio, to July, 1862. 9th Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of the Ohio, to September, 1862. 9th Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Ohio, to November, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Center 14th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 14th Army Corps, to April, 1864. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 14th Army Corps, to June, 1865. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 14th Army Corps, to July, 1865.
- Ordered to Elizabethtown, Ky., September 21, and duty at Camp Nevin on Nolin Creek until February 1862.
- Advance on Bowling Green, Ky., and Nashville, Tenn., February 10-March 6, 1862.
- Moved to Franklin March 25, thence to Columbia and Shelbyville.
- Duty at Shelbyville until May 11.
- Action at Rogersville May 13.
- Expedition to Chattanooga May 28-June 16.
- Chattanooga June 7.
- Guard duty at Shelbyville and Stevenson until August.
- Moved to Dechard August 17, thence march to Louisville, Ky., in pursuit of Bragg, August 21-September 26.
- Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1–15.
- Battle of Perryville October 8.
- March to Nashville, Tenn., October 16-November 7, and duty there until December 26.
- Advance on Murfreesboro December 26–30.
- Battle of Stone's River December 30–31, 1862 and January 1–3, 1863.
- Duty at Murfreesboro until June.
- Tullahoma Campaign June 24-July 7.
- Hoover's Gap June 24–26.
- Occupation of middle Tennessee until August 16.
- Passage of the Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga Campaign August 16-September 22.
- Davis Cross Roads, Dug Gap, September 11.
- Battle of Chickamauga September 19–21.
- Rossville Gap September 21.
- Siege of Chattanooga, September 24-November 23.
- Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23–27.
- Lookout Mountain November 23–24.
- Missionary Ridge November 25.
- Pea Vine Creek and Graysville November 26.
- Ringgold Gap, Tay1or's Ridge, November 27.
- Duty at Rossville, Ga., and Chattanooga, Tenn., until February 1864, and at Tyner's Station and Graysville until May.
- Atlanta Campaign May 1 to September 8.
- Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge May 8–11.
- Buzzard's Roost Gap May 8–9.
- Battle of Resaca May 14–15.
- Advance on Dallas May 18–25.
- Operations on Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5.
- Pickett's Mills May 27.
- Operations about Marietta and against Kennesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Pine Hill June 11–14.
- Lost Mountain June 15–17.
- Assault on Kennesaw June 27.
- Ruff's Station, Smyrna Camp Ground, July 4.
- Chattahoochee River July 5–17.
- Peachtree Creek July 19–20.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Utoy Creek August 5–7.
- Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25–30.
- Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1.
- Pursuit of Hood into Alabama October 3–26.
- March to the Sea November 15-December 10.
- Siege of Savannah December 10–21.
- Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865.
- Averysboro, N. C., March 16.
- Battle of Bentonville March 19–21.
- Occupation of Goldsboro March 24.
- Advance on Raleigh April 10–14.
- Occupation of Raleigh April 14.
- Bennett's House April 26.
- Surrender of Johnston and his army. March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20.
- Grand Review of the Armies May 24.
- Moved to Louisville, Ky., June.
Regiment lost during service 9 Officers and
147 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 254 Enlisted men by
disease. Total 411